Saturday, August 24, 2013

50th Anniversary of the March on Washington - Part One



One of the great things about living in Washington, D.C. is that history is alive and well, nearly every single day. Today marked the celebration of the 50th Anniversary of the March on Washington, an important even in American history, and one that has special meaning to me. My great aunt and grandmother were at the original march, and, though they couldn't return, I felt like it was my place to go. In the course of my careers, I got to spend 20 minutes sitting and chatting with Georgia Congressman and Civil Rights champion John Lewis. Today, I got to hear him speak to thousands of people at the Lincoln Memorial, and it was just as special.
 
I've been to a few gatherings in D.C. before. I remember Glenn Beck speaking; I walked around before the 2013 inauguration events. Those were just different, somehow. It felt as if people weren't only there to witness something. There was an energy that was just... there. It was fun to take pictures of a day like this, but I don't think I could have possibly captured the energy or the emotion that was in the air.

I don't know how to pull that off yet. I've also realized that I like to put subjects on the right third of my photos. Now I'm going to have to force myself to put things on the left, just to see what that looks like!

No matter one's politics, the significance of the historic occasion is unimpeachable. To see Myrlie Evers-Williams, the wife of slain civil rights activist Medgar Evers speaking, asking for the nation to "stand your ground" and fight for the ideals you believe in - shivers. The message of the day, when you stripped away the causes individuals were championing was quite simple, and quite beautiful - Take care of one another; be good to one another. Great lessons, on a great day.

I leave you with a shot of the one possession that I own which I would retrieve from a fire.





















Equipment Used

Nikon D7100 Camera
55-200mm f/4-5.6 lens
35mm f/1.8 lens


 Images

No comments:

Post a Comment