Sunday, October 27, 2013

Painting with Black - NYC Photo Workshop, Day One

I recently took part in my first formal photography instruction. I've taken a number of art classes, which helps a lot with composition and visualizing interesting photos, but not with the actual mechanics of going out and shooting. That's all been self taught at this point. Well, within thirty minutes of arriving on the first morning, we set out in New York's financial district with a simple assignment - come back with 20 good photos.

Now, I set out with a rather simple kit - camera, 35mm lens. Nothing to think about beyond light, exposure, and composition. When I later viewed my first shots, a quote by Robert Capa rang very true to me: "If your photographs aren't good enough, you're not close enough." There's a lot in that statement to unpack, of course - it's not just about being physically close to your subject. But it's an excellent reminder to not just take photos, but to make photos.

I ended up moving around the financial district with one of the instructors - Aaron Zebrook. Aaron knows how to do street photography - he spotted interesting people from a block away, and was ready for the shot he wanted. Every. Time. But, mor
e importantly than spotting subjects, Aaron taught me how to be ready for the shot. The light in early morning NYC can be a bit challenging. A rising sun shooting right down the streets, but blocked every so often by buildings, scaffolding. That's where Aaron gave me the lesson that made me rethink how I approach every day photography.

"You're painting with black."

Whoa. Aaron went on to explain that the colors are all there, but making them pop, making the composition work is about the negative space, and how it directs your attention. As an example, he snapped a quick shot of a subway entrance sign. You've seen a thousand of these photos from tourists. Trust me when I tell you that this sucker popped. It was gritty, beat up, but also had this warmth and color to it that drew you in. Oh, and half of the frame was pure black shadow. Astounding.

That morning was the absolute best photography experience that I've ever had. We made it all the way to the East River and back in 90 minutes. The way out there was directly into the light, which meant I had to constantly preposition myself for the shot I expected. But nothing prepared me for the walk back. Perfect light. The whole way across the island of Manhattan. I didn't have to think, I just had to see the photograph that I wanted to make. It was pretty damn cool.

Equipment Used

Nikon D7100 Camera
35mm f/1.8



Images

No comments:

Post a Comment